Sudbury Catholic Students Excel at Sudbury Regional Science Fair
16 student projects from the Sudbury Catholic District School Board were on display during the Sudbury Regional Science Fair on April 1, 2023. Subjects ranged from engineering and coding to environmental initiatives and electricity. The following student projects received awards:
St. Benedict Catholic Secondary School
- Olaterere Awosik, “Klean” The Automatic Cleaning Robot
- Award: Honourable Mention – Junior Engineering
- Constantinos Urso & Thomas Reich, EZ-Drain
- Awards: Third Place – Junior Engineering and the Bharti School of Engineering and Computer Science Engineering Award
- Victoria Leigh, Indoor Air Quality
- Awards: First Place – Junior Physical Sciences, Sanofi Biogenius Canada Award and Canada Wide Science Fair Winner
- Maggie Polischuk, The Breakaway Steering Wheel
- Awards: Bharti School of Engineering and Computer Science Engineering Award, Students’ Choice Award and Canada Wide Science Fair Winner
Both Victoria Leigh and Maggie Polischuk will be moving on to the Canada Wide Science Fair which will take place in May 2023 in Edmonton.
“Everyone who participated put in so much effort towards the Regional Fair – winning these awards at the fair was so unexpected. Receiving an invitation to attend the national fair is very exciting and I am looking forward to attending,” said Victoria Leigh.
“For me it was more fun than work because I picked a topic that I enjoyed learning about. Meeting people that have the same interests as me has been amazing. I look forward to representing my school and the Board at the Canada wide Science Fair next month!” Maggie Polischuk.
In addition, St. Benedict C.S.S Science teacher Loretta Cuda received the Ambassador of Science Award. This award is given to someone who has contributed to science programming over the years by facilitating and encouraging teachers and students to participate in project-based learning opportunities, including annual science fairs.
“It is an honour to have been presented the Sudbury Regional Science Fair Ambassador of Science Award. I have been a member of the Sudbury Regional Science Fair for ten years as the Activities Chair and also a member of Teacher Resources. I have had the opportunity to attend four Canada Wide Science Fairs, which has taught me the importance of inquiry-based learning; something that I always implement into my classroom. I am a firm believer in allowing students to engage directly in their learning and explore the answers to their scientific inquiries through hands-on opportunities,” said Loretta Cuda.
The Canada Wide Science Fair will take place from May 14-May 19, 2023, in Edmonton, Alberta. All Sudbury Catholic projects can be viewed at the following link: https://projectboard.world/ysc/sudbury-virtual-science-fair-en