Schools under the jurisdiction of the Sudbury Catholic District School Board exist primarily to assist parents in developing to the fullest the academic, the intellectual, spiritual, physical, cultural and moral growth of their children.
The goals of education for exceptional pupils are essentially the same as those for all other students.
- To develop completely their individual talents as members of society and as unique and responsible individuals.
- To provide them with opportunities to grow in Faith and in an understanding of the nature and purpose of life.
- To provide programs and services for students with special education needs according to the area of exceptionality defined by the Ministry of Education.
- To cooperate with other school boards and community agencies when necessary to provide a full range of programs and services designed to meet the needs of students with diverse abilities.
- To provide within the special education funding envelope of resources at the community school level such that most exceptional pupils can remain with their fellow pupils in the regular classroom.
The ASD/Communication Class at St. Benedict is for students who have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The students range in age and ability with the focus on communication, social and behavior strategies. With the support of a Teacher and Educational Assistants, students receive individual programming based on their needs.
Students are integrated based on ability and emphasis is placed on their Individual Education Plans. Both classes are for ages 12- 21.
Life Skills Program
The Life Skills Program is part of our Special Education Services offered at St. Benedict School. The mandate of this program is to prepare each student, as much as possible, to be an independent and self-fulfilled member of society. Students must be identified through an IPRC committee and an Individual Education Plan (IEP) will be developed to help enhance and build on the skills of the individual student. Courses will not be given academic credit, as per Ministry of Education guidelines, but students will be issued a Certificate of Accomplishment upon the completion of the program.
To learn more about Special Education, please go to the following website.